Custom Search

Friday, August 8, 2008

Unnatural Silliness

So I ran across a place on the web where someone was yet again claiming that gay marriage is wrong because it's "not natural." (I won't even go into the hilarity of this person claiming that gay marriage hurts him.) I was moved to give a response against my better judgment. Sometimes, I just get so riled that I have to respond to something I know should be too silly for me to respond to. Anyway, I decided to make a few changes and add it here as a public service message for those who are still embarrassing themselves by claiming such things and because I'm a big supporter of recycling. After the click, you can read all of my indignation in all of its glory.

I cannot believe that people still use the unnatural argument for homosexuality and/or gay marriage being wrong. If they thought about it for two seconds, they should realize that it's absolutely ridiculous. Not only is homosexuality found throughout nature in many species, but many of the things that these people support, use, and participate in are unnatural. When you get right down to it, marriage and religion are unnatural. I'm not saying these things are bad, but that raises another point: whether something is unnatural or not has absolutely nothing to do with whether it's good or bad. Our society would collapse if it had to let go of everything unnatural. In addition, the argument that something unnatural is necessarily bad makes pretty much everyone who uses it a flaming hypocrite because, if they live in a civilized society, it's guaranteed that they do something unnatural (like use a computer to spread their ridiculous arguments to people all around the world). Thus, the unnatural argument is a colossal failure for (not just one but) three reasons:

1. It's untrue.
2. It's completely irrelevant to whether something is good or bad.
3. It makes the user a hypocrite.

Therefore, it is my sincere advice that people stop using the "unnatural" reasoning as an argument against homosexuality. It doesn't arise from logic. It arises from bigotry. It doesn't work, and it doesn't make the user look good on top of it. I'm really only trying to save them from embarrassing themselves.

0 comments: