Custom Search

Monday, September 17, 2007

Addiction

I have a new addiction. Well, it's relatively new. I've had it for a few weeks now. I watch the Luke/Noah storyline from "As the World Turns" on YouTube, often repeatedly. Every once in a while, I'll catch an episode on television to see if it's on there, but I'm usually disappointed. It's just so damn good. It's probably the best thing I've ever seen on a soap and it's the first thing I can actually relate to on one. Believe it or not, I actually had a similar episode in college. I've seen others comment on similarities in their own lives as well. To sum up, Luke is a gay teen who came out not too long ago, and Noah is a (relatively) new guy in town, who begins a relationship with Luke's friend, Maddie. Luke is attracted to Noah but thinks he's straight, then Noah kisses him revealing otherwise. Noah feels pressured by his homophobic father to live the straight life and tries to make a go of it with Maddie. Doubt, unspoken feelings, and secrets abound. I won't give away any more in case any readers would like to check it out for themselves. (Yes, it's probably a little naive to assume that there are readers, but someone could stumble across this little corner of the Internet someday and, hopefully, they'll be entertained, but it's more likely they'll be horrified.) The writing is surprisingly good for a soap, and the performances have been surprising as well. Van Hansis as Luke is absolutely brilliant. In fact, he is so good that it makes me nervous that he won't be on much longer because someone has to snap him up for bigger and better things soon. He's just WAY too good for a soap. Alexandra Chando (as Maddie) has also stepped up to the plate recently delivering when it was most important. I highly recommend following the saga. However, I don't really recommend tuning into the show everyday, since, as mentioned before, this storyline isn't on nearly enough and the other storylines are pretty much what you would expect on a run-of-the-mill soap. A wonderful individual has put the Luke/Noah story on YouTube with only the scenes relating to their story, for which I will be eternally grateful. You can find them at http://www.youtube.com/user/LukeVanFan. Enjoy!

Recommended song download: Big Spender (NorthxNWest Remix) - Shirley Bassey

0 comments: