Custom Search

Sunday, June 8, 2008

I'm Making a List and Checking It Twice

Okay, so I seem to be in the midst of a hellacious case of writer's block. I can't seem to think of anything to write about, and when a possible topic comes to me, I can't think of anything to write about it. So I've decided to fall back on that time-honored substitute for writers that can't write, the list. This is my first one here on ED (you know, like ET for Entertainment Tonight and EW for Entertainment Weekly, except without the entertainment -- er -- I mean "Entertainment"), but I'm sure it won't be my last. This week's list: The Top Ten Madonna Songs. If you give a damn about my choices (and, really, why wouldn't you?), click on through.


10. Frozen - Hauntingly beautiful and beautifully haunting, there may be other songs of hers that are better listens, but I don't know if there are any with more artistry.

9. Crazy for You - Oh, song, every line I'm deeper into you, and soon we two are standing still in time. It's just a good old-fashioned torch song, but, damn, that torch burns bright.

8. Holiday - If we took a holiday, just some time to celebrate, just one song out of life, I could think of worst choices than this one. Deeper than it appears on the surface, it's more than a song about having a good time, it's a song wishing that everyone could have a good time in a world where many people don't. There's nothing wrong with that.

7. Beautiful Stranger - I listened to this song, and my world came tumbling down. It's the devil in disguise, and that's why I can't help singing it. The guitar, the reverb, and the trippy retro sounds combined with the lyrics make this aptly titled song feel just like falling for a beautiful stranger does.

6. Material Girl - If you don't give this song proper credit, I'll just walk away. Bouncy and infectious, it's not the deepest song out there, but it's pure candy for the eardrums.

5. Vogue - When all else fails and you long to be something better than you are today, give this song a spin and it should at least cheer you up if it doesn't get your booty moving in whatever direction it should. This song is what you make of it: a song about escaping pain and hardship through dance and dreaming of a better day or just a dancefloor anthem. There is no wrong choice really.

4. Music - It's like riding on the wind and it never goes away. This celebration of music and the booty-shaking that it can inspire still sounds surprisingly fresh several years later. It's pure aural pleasure, and if the ears could orgasm, I'd have this on a constant loop.

3. Into the Groove - Music can be such a revelation as this song proves time and again. It's not just another Madonna song celebrating music and dance, it's THE Madonna song celebrating music and dance.

2. Ray of Light - Faster than a speeding light I'm flying, trying to remember where it all began. That's hard to do considering that after a decade this song still feels brand new and even seems to get better every time I hear it. One thing is for sure, this song will be there through the endless years.

1. Like a Prayer - This song takes me there. It SO takes me there. Practically a religious experience in itself, it could almost make an atheist believe in God through it's sheer beauty. Like a child, it whispers softly to me, and it's in control, just like a child.


Recommended Song Download: Into the Nightlife - Cyndi Lauper

0 comments: