Custom Search

Sunday, May 11, 2008

With This Ring, I See Red

Weddings have never been my favorite things, but as I've gotten older, they've become even less enjoyable. Being reminded that I can't do the same thing with someone that I love and enjoy the rights and privileges that the married couple will have isn't exactly my idea of a good time. Of course, there would be no threat of me walking down the aisle anytime soon anyway seeing as there's no special someone in my life right now, but that doesn't really help.

It just so happens that I went to a wedding this weekend. It was my cousin's wedding. It was already depressing enough knowing how much younger she was than I was, and that I could remember her as a toddler and here she was looking like a gorgeous young woman in a beautiful mermaid-style gown. Being reminded that time has basically slaughtered whatever was left of my youth is bad enough, but I also had to be reminded of how any union of mine would be considered to be so much less than theirs.

Then I started thinking about the people who scream about "protecting marriage" and my blood started to boil. They like to pretend that straight people haven't already done a lot of damage themselves. I just don't see how letting a bunch of people marry who would appreciate the value of marriage and not take it for granted could hurt it. It seems like it could only help to me.

Furthermore, this ceremony was very Christian and pretty much amounted to a sermon instead of a wedding. That wasn't particularly enjoyable, but when they had the little ceremony within a ceremony recognizing that she had saved herself for marriage, I felt so uncomfortable it was like my internal organs wanted to burst from my body and run screaming from the church. That was my little cousin! I didn't want to know whether she's a virgin or not, thank you very much! "Creepy" wasn't even the word for it. I was mortified.

I now have a little trick that helps me get through these things, however. When I find myself attending an agonizing ceremony in a church, there will usually be a hymnbook somewhere in front of me. I look at it and then think about Eddie Izzard talking about white people singing in church. Works everytime!

Brothers & Sisters, Nine Inch Nails, and more after the jump!

_________________________

TIDBITS
_________________________


Speaking of getting hitched, Kevin and Scotty will be taking the plunge on tonight's Brothers & Sisters on ABC. Of course, they aren't getting married because the show is set in California where same-sex marriages aren't recognized, but they are having a commitment ceremony to celebrate their domestic partnership. ("Domestic partnership" just drips with romance, doesn't it?) Last week's episode was very moving with Kevin proposing to Scotty, and Matthew Rhys and Luke McFarlane gave wonderful performances during the scene. Uncle Saul, played by Ron Rifkin, also came out to Kevin in a touching scene. This is one of the best shows on television right now with a phenomenal cast. Although, to be honest, I could really do without any hookups between Justin and Rebecca, who thought that they were siblings at one point. Ick.

_________________________

There is a new Nine Inch Nails album out right now entitled The Slip. However, it's only available by download, and, oh yeah, IT'S FREE! So if you're a big fan, a casual listener, or just want to check out some new tunes, you might want to look into it. You can't beat free! I have downloaded it, and I'm currently enjoying "Discipline" very much. You can download the album at http://dl.nin.com/theslip/.

_________________________

I would just like to say here that, no, I am NOT ignoring the elephant in the room. I am perfectly aware of a certain celebrity blogger announcing that a certain actor is in a certain kind of relationship. I think that it's wonderful that this actor has someone to be with and I think it is in NO WAY shameful or something that should be swept under the rug. I'm not mentioning any names, however, because I don't want to give the gasbag of a blogger any more publicity than he already has. I wish the actor and his boyfriend nothing but the best and I hope that he knows that he has plenty of support!

_________________________

I'd like to take this moment for a little clarification about my post schedule. I will be posting weekly as I said in last week's entry, but the post will appear sometime during the weekend (Fri-Sun) and not on any particular day. Have a great week!


Recommended Song Download: Cologne - Dolly Parton

0 comments: